Back Pain Treatment in Florham Park
Back pain is a term that loosely refers to a myriad of conditions associated with the spine, muscles and ligaments in the back. The severity of pain can range anywhere from a dull ache to debilitating pain. At some point in their lives, more than 80 percent of Americans will experience back pain as the result of an injury or a condition. To best alleviate pain and prevent relapse, the cause, severity and other individual factors will play a large role in developing an effective and comprehensive treatment plan.
Symptoms of Back Pain
The symptoms of back pain can vary from person to person but many report similar discomforts. Stiffness, sharp pains, chronic aches and muscle spasms are among the most common complaints. These symptoms may affect any region of the back, from the neck down to the tailbone.
Depending on the specific area where symptoms occur, back pain is divided into three general classifications:
- Cervical (neck and upper back)
- Thoracic (middle back)
- Lumbar (lower back)
Possible Causes of Back Pain
Many individuals suffer from prolonged back pain as the direct result of an injury such as fractures, sprains and strains. If proper treatment is not obtained initially, the injury may become worse over time and lead to serious complications. These complications may result in chronic muscle aches and sharp pains. Other common causes of back pain include scoliosis, spinal stenosis, poor posture and bulging, herniated or degenerative discs.
- Spinal Decompression DRX9000 System: This FDA-approved, non-surgical spinal decompression treatment gently separates the vertebrae that surround a bulging, herniated or degenerative disc, allowing the disc to return to its proper space.
- Deep Tissue Class IV Laser: This treatment harnesses the deep-penetrating power of a laser. As the laser reaches the tissue, the damaged cells are energized with powerful photons. This treatment has been scientifically proven to reduce inflammation and promote healing.
- Chiropractic Care: This utilizes a more hands-on approach to restoring the functionality of the back and eliminating pain. Through spinal manipulation and similar techniques, the proper alignment of the spine is restored to promote healing.
- Injection Therapy: Injection therapy involves receiving small injections that can help lubricate and cushion the affected joint and improve mobility.
- Pain Management: This treatment option solely focuses on reducing the level of pain experienced through treatments such as non-steroidal injections.
- Physical Therapy: This involves numerous different techniques, from massage and heat treatment to exercise, but each method focuses on reducing pain and increasing mobility and function through movement.
- Acupuncture: This form of alternative medicine involves strategically inserting thin needles into the skin. The process is effective in reducing pain levels as it encourages the body to release endorphins.
While it’s understandable that you wish to recover as quickly as possible from back pain, it’s much more important to recover properly. Your individual recovery timeline will vary widely depending on your specific injury or condition, along with the terms of your customized treatment plan and your overall health.
The Total Health Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Center’s Difference
Total Health Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Center believes in providing individualized care to each of our patients. The back pain that you experience is unique to your condition. Your lifestyle and abilities are just as distinctive. By taking these factors into account, we’re able to design an all-inclusive treatment plan that’s created specifically to empower you with the tools you need to improve your overall health and well-being.