Visit Our Licensed Massage Therapists in Florham Park
Ask About Our $40 New Client Massage Special!
Massage therapy is a form of treatment that has a long history throughout the world. It primarily involves the manual manipulation of the soft tissue, muscles, tendons and ligaments to help reduce pain, relieve pressure and promote overall health and wellness.
There are many different varieties of massage therapy with two overarching categories: relaxation massage and rehabilitative massage. Massage that is more primarily focused on relaxation tends to involve lighter touches and long strokes. It is more geared towards relieving stress and anxiety. Rehabilitative massage is also commonly called deep tissue massage and is more focused on relieving pain or helping heal an injury.
There are many different ways in which massage can be effective, including releasing knots in the body, providing stimulation that helps block pain signals and even releasing certain chemicals such as serotonin and endorphins, which produce beneficial changes in the body. For these reasons, massage can be a very beneficial part of an overall plan for health and wellness.
What to Expect from Our Massage Therapists
Your therapist will generally begin the first session by asking you a few questions about any areas that are causing you particular pain or discomfort in order to understand where they should focus during the session. They may also start with a series of light touches to get a feel for any areas in the body that are tense or need extra attention. Generally, patients are treated lying down on a table in either loose clothing or undressed and covered in a sheet to allow the massage therapist to really get to the root of the problem. Sessions typically last an hour but can be longer depending on the type of massage and the desired outcome.
Top Massage Offerings at Our Florham Park Massage Therapy Center
- Swedish Massage: Also knows as a traditional massage, this type of massage consists of long gliding strokes, kneading, shaking and tapping motions. It can be highly effective for a number of ailments because of the positive effects it produces on all layers and systems of the body. Swedish massage affects the nerves, muscles, glands, circulation and provides for the advancement of overall health and well being.
- Deep Tissue Massage: Deep tissue massage is similar to Swedish massage, but the pressure is typically deeper and more beneficial to releasing chronic muscle tension. Deep tissue massage focuses on the deepest layers of the muscle tissue, tendons and protective layers surrounding the muscles, bones and joints.
- Prenatal Massage: Pregnancy massage relieves tensions and aches caused by the extra weight and shift in center of gravity during the prenatal period. Pregnancy massage is designed to reduce swelling and fatigue as well as enhancing energy and soothing the nervous system.
- Medical Massage: Medical massage is a therapeutic technique designed to reduce pain and inflammation in the muscles and ligaments. It also aids in the recovery from injury and workouts. Medical conditions, which include cancer, MS and auto-immune diseases, are addressed by targeting the key areas to alleviate the symptoms of chronic muscular discomfort, muscle tears, inflammation and sprains while improving circulation, lymph flow and range of motion.
- Sports Massage: Sports massage is used before or after sporting events to prepare each athlete for peak performance. This type of massage helps to relieve fatigue, reduce swelling, reduce muscle tension, promote flexibility, prevent injury and accelerate healing.
The Total Health Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Center’s Difference
At Total Health Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Center, we are dedicated to providing you with comprehensive and individualized care to eliminate your pain. Massage therapy is one of the many services we offer and is generally a part of a larger health and wellness plan that will be designed for you by our trained professionals.